Southwest Regional School Board's Transitions Project: Developing Secondary School Students' Employability Skills (1998)

The Southwest Regional School Board in Nova Scotia has established a School-to-Work Transition (SWT) project that partners education, business and the community to develop secondary school students’ employability skills.

Piloted at Yarmouth Consolidated Memorial High School, the program aims to help secondary school students make more informed choices about their plans for further education and employment; make classroom learning more relevant to students by linking it more closely to the realities of the workplace; open communications channels between educators and employers; and make training in highly skilled occupations more accessible to students.

The SWT program is directed by a committee that includes business representatives, educators, parents, and students.

Students receive about 90 hours of classroom-based education, outside regular school hours, throughout Grades 11 and 12. In-school programming included career counselling; self- and occupational-awareness training; instruction in goal-setting; practical job-related training, like first aid, food handling; and advice on how to find and keep a job. Participating students also got significant work experience after school and on evenings and weekends in their work placements.

The in-school component was worth 20 percent of each student’s overall mark, with the remaining 80 percent based on a comparison between the employer’s evaluations of the student’s skills and the student’s self-assessment.

Get resource
Authors: 
Added: 
2013-12-04
APA citation
Kurtis Kitagawa. Southwest Regional School Board's Transitions Project: Developing Secondary School Students' Employability Skills 1998. Web. 1 Oct. 2020 <http://en.copian.ca/library/research/cboc/employability_skills/southwest_regional_school_board/southwest_regional_school_board.pdf>
Kurtis Kitagawa (1998). Southwest Regional School Board's Transitions Project: Developing Secondary School Students' Employability Skills. Retrieved October 1, 2020, from http://en.copian.ca/library/research/cboc/employability_skills/southwest_regional_school_board/southwest_regional_school_board.pdf
© 2020 Copian Library